Translate

Monday, May 21, 2012

One of those days.....

Did you ever have one of those days where you were just not happy with what you had been doing? I have been working on this one hat band way too long for my taste. Meaning, I am not happy with the way it is turning out. I will at some point finish this band but most likely this will be one of a kind. Don't get me wrong, I love the color combination that I created. The pattern itself is not all that bad. In fact, it is pretty easy to work. I am concluding that the problem for me is the size of the thread that I am working with. It seems that I have become spoiled by using size 30 or below in recent years. It is just like I have a very hard time reverting back to dealing with beginning tatting work. I am trying my hardest not to be so much of a snob when it comes to thread sizes because for me to get the sizes that I want I have to order them off the internet. 


Below is a close up of the pattern and thread that I am working with:




This next picture is the full amount of the pattern that I have so far.




So I am going back to tatting with the smaller threads (fortunately for me I have quite a bit on hand at this point). Something about lace calls for the much smaller threads for the delicate look that I am trying to achieve. I so have some thread on order to play some more with the dyeing process. I hope to recreate this particular color and try again to do something that I am happy with. 


I am not sure if I want to finish this band or not. Tell me if you think I should give this away or exchange it with someone for something else? I would of course include the extra thread to complete the project plus the pattern that I have been using. Please leave a comment below with your opinion.


Happy Tatting
Arial - Tatting Faerie

11 comments:

  1. depending on size, this could be anything other then a hat band.
    How long and wide is it?
    can it go to a crazy quilter to use as an embellishment? I can see a decorative bell pull, if you back this with fabric, and maybe someone will like this as a hat band.
    (sneaking in a reply from work he he)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the colors are wonderful. Bright and sunny for summer. Is it for a full tatted hat? Or is it for a band to go around a regular hat? I think you need to keep going, but you can always take a break and work as different project for a while. Just don't let it become an UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd finish it but the first time someone complimented it....they would become the proud owner of the beautiful hat band. (I've done it with projects I discovered I didn't like for what ever reason...pattern...thread...Now you know that size 30 or larger isn't comfortable for you to work with...don't use the size 20 or larger. I personally like the larger for some things but love how 40 feels and works up. I am a "have thread will tat" kind of person tho...and have tatted with parachute cord and size 80 tatting thread...both have their place but I love how 40 works up and feels. You are not a snob just learned something about how you tat...you prefer finer thread... Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very rarely tat with anything below 20, but this is because of my eyesight...I can't see to take out mistakes in anything smaller. I also enjoy the weight of a bookmark made in (gasp!) DMC 5. I love the finer thread look, but because of my limitations, I think about the subject differently. I do find a repetitive pattern (like your hatband) begins to grate on my nerves and I get bored...that is when I put it aside and work on something different for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the nice bright summer colours and think the pattern is great. I do not understand why you do not like it I think it would make a great hat band although I do understand your love for the finer threads as I find it hard to enjoy tatting unless the thread is size 50 or thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colours you have used ... I can see it on a big floppy straw hat.. I know you feel when I go from 80 tatting cotton to other thread the Delicate Dainty feel is different but it is still a nice band with great colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great and the colour mix is beautiful. If you don't want to do any more then that would look great trimming a denim bag or a black one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should finish it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I am happy to have received such a response while I was away from the keyboard!

    It was intended as a hatband. However, the hats that I would currently be using it on are the "fedora" style hats you see in my other pictures. I will most likely let this be a UFO for a time until I can find the right hat that it would fit well on. Although, the idea of putting it on a bag might be just where it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can also see it across the back yoke of a denim or dark shirt. I loved the color when I first saw it and when I came back I still do! The differences in what we all like about tatting keep our craft fresh and new. I'd love the pattern if it is available..I can see it as the rise along the side of a hat or as a hat band. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  11. With the colors you are using, the "windmills" seem to be twirling. I really like the effect.

    ReplyDelete